roy jones jr vs mike tyson

Whatever has to happen is going to happen. They can get into it a little bit, but I don't want people to get hurt. Mike Tyson will face Roy Jones Jr. in an exhibition on Sept. 12 in Los Angeles. Now, Jones, who spent his career at lower weights aside from a single world-title winning fight at heavyweight, is sharing the same sentiment, suggesting it was a dangerous decision to face Tyson, one of history's best heavyweights. Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. is an upcoming exhibition boxing match contested between former undisputed heavyweight world champion, Mike Tyson, and former four-division world champion, Roy Jones Jr. In Case It Hits the Fan on Election Night, ©2020 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. "If it comes down to bite, we're going to bite. They have a right to earn, and all these types of things. This is going to be my definition of fun ... broken eye sockets, broken jaw, broken rib. "He's still Mike Tyson, he's still one of the strongest, most explosive people who ever touched a boxing ring," Jones told Sky Sports. But that's the only other fight Roy Jones will return to the ring for. The fight between Tyson, 54, and Jones, 51, was originally planned for September before COVID-19 restrictions led to the bout being pushed back in the interest of attracting more fans, whether that means in-person or via pay-per-view on the Triller social media app is still to be determined. In an interview with BoxingScene.com Holyfield expressed his desire to meet Tyson in the ring, saying, "I've already done what I wanted to do in my career, and have been the best that I could be.

Get TMZ breaking news sent right to your browser!

But, Jones and Tyson continue to do their best to sell the idea that this is a fight worth the time of fans who tune in.

[3], Tyson first mentioned the idea of returning to exhibition fights in an April 2020 YouTube interview with rapper T.I., saying, "I want to go to the gym and get in shape to be able to box three or four-round exhibitions for some charities and stuff". People shouldn't be getting knocked out.

A 22 against a 45??? I don't care if they work.'

The bout is scheduled to take place on November 28, 2020, at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California. They are world-class athletes, even still.

", Stallone says his advice for Roy when it comes to hanging with Mike in the ring is simple ... "Keep moving! ", Sly added, "Roy Jones is a great, great fighter, but it's just a matter of physics. They're about the same age.

"If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. If 2020 couldn’t get any stranger, 54 year-old former undisputed light heavyweight powerhouse Mike Tyson announced his return to the ring later this year to face Roy Jones Jr…

All Rights Reserved. "[14], ^Note 1 Exhibition fight ^Note 2 Robinson's professional debut, "Cash-strapped Tyson announces exhibition tour", "Tyson Happy With Exhibition, Fans Are Not", "Evander Holyfield Wants To Fight Mike Tyson In Exhibition For Charity", "Mike Tyson wants to return to the ring and 'box some exhibitions, "Mike Tyson prepares for potential return to boxing ring, releasing a training video that says 'I'm Back, "Roy Jones Jr ends career with win over Scott Sigmon; but issues challenge for 'only other fight' he wants", "Mike Tyson Has Offer of $1 Million For Exhibition Against Gallen, Williams or Hall", "Mike Tyson Views SBW Fight as "Insult To Boxing" - Wants Real Boxer", "Mike Tyson Offered $20 Million By Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship", "Mike Tyson Offered $1.1 Million For Peter McNeeley Rematch", "Tyson-Jones Jr. exhibition match set for Sept. 12", "Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. exhibition fight delayed to Nov. 28, new undercard bouts announced", "Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr., We're Gonna Try and Kill Each Other, Period", "Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr exhibition bout postponed, according to reports in the US", Fallen Champ: The Untold Story of Mike Tyson, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mike_Tyson_vs._Roy_Jones_Jr.&oldid=986113309, Sports competitions in Carson, California, November 2020 sports events in the United States, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 29 October 2020, at 21:36. [11] In August, it was announced the date had been pushed back to November 28, in order to maximize the revenue for the event.

Jones announced his retirement after the bout, but left the door open for a return against UFC fighter Anderson Silva, saying, "Dana, I know you're listening.

With him having the first-round fireworks, he'll be against a guy smaller than him, maybe 40-50 pounds smaller than him.". Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. is an upcoming exhibition boxing match contested between former undisputed heavyweight world champion, Mike Tyson, and former four-division world champion, Roy Jones Jr.

"Well, let's put it this way," Stallone said.

The bout is scheduled to take place on November 28, 2020, at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California. He's going to have all the first-round fireworks, not me. That's fun to me.".

He's the bigger guy, he's the explosive guy. They're going to spar hard, but they shouldn't be going for a knockout.

He later explained in a Facebook livestream, "Anything's possible. "It's an exhibition. The bout will be officially sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).

We can't mislead the public as to this is some kind of real fight. TMZ Sports got Sylvester Stallone leaving Fia in Santa Monica this week ... and when we asked about RJJ's chances in his November exhibition with Iron Mike -- Sly didn't love them. 12:27 pm ET. This isn't a record-book type of fight. It's not what this is. Mike Tyson waited 14 years to get back in the ring, so what’s a few more months? "[3], After two months of negotiations between Tyson and Holyfield failed to materialize a deal, it was announced on July 23 that Jones had signed a contract to face Tyson, with the exhibition initially scheduled to take place on September 12, at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California, with professional boxers to appear on the undercard. Covering the impact of coronavirus on the sports world. [2] This would be the only exhibition fight of the tour to take place. "[5], Jones' last bout of his 29 year career took place on February 8, 2018, defeating Scott Sigmon via unanimous decision at the Bay Center In Pensacola, Florida. ! "What do you think is going to work?

The public can see what kind of shape Roy and Mike are still in.". ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. That's just what it is.". They know the deal. A year after retiring, Tyson announced in September 2006 that he would embark on a world tour of exhibition fights, billed as "Mike Tyson's World Tour", in a bid to overcome the debt he was in at the time. [7] According to celebrity agent Max Markson, who was acting as the middleman between Amatruda and Tyson's team, Tyson called the offer "an insult to boxing", with Markson saying, "Mike read the story (in the Daily Mail) that he would be fighting a rugby player. In August, Tyson told the Dan Patrick Show, "We're throwing punches at each other. This is a charity event helping our foundations.

They can exhibit their boxing skills, but I don't want them using their best efforts to hurt each other. section: | slug: roy-jones-jr-says-he-may-have-made-a-mistake-in-taking-exhibition-boxing-match-against-mike-tyson | sport: boxing | route: article_single.us | The moment you've all been waiting for...The Champ is back." CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: boxing | pageType: stories |

© 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. A few hours after the surprising announcement that Mike Tyson would fight Roy Jones Jr… [13] The event will be officially sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).

The fight is scheduled for Nov. 28 ... and, if you're listening to Sly, that means there's still plenty of time for Roy to not go through with this!! I do have first-round fireworks, but he's known for more first-round fireworks than anybody to ever touch boxing, other than maybe George Foreman. I know Anderson's suspended. ASSOCIATED PRESS. In fact, Stallone seemed straight-up concerned for Roy!!! He has said he would not do that as it would be an insult to boxing. [10], Six days after Tyson posted his training videos, Evander Holyfield posted his own video with the caption of: "Are you ready?

The gods of war have reawakened me, ignited my ego and want me to go to war again. The thing is knowing what you're doing it for. I feel unstoppable now. Mike Tyson is a wrecking ball.". Other than that, chapter's closed.

By the way, when it comes to the rumored Logan Paul vs. Floyd Mayweather fight ... Stallone says he loves LP's guts -- but he clearly doesn't think that scrap should happen either. CSAC executive director Andy Foster has shot down the notion that the fight will be a true boxing contest already, telling BoxingScene.com, "I wanted to have their assurances that they understand, 'I don't care if they spar. [1] With 6,000 fans in attendance, the fight failed to live up to expectations, with the crowd often booing with displeasure. Roy Jones Jr. says he may have made a mistake in taking exhibition boxing match against Mike Tyson Jones again pushed the idea that his bout with Tyson … © 2020 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. "[8], Other offers came from David Feldman—president of the Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship (BKFC)—for $20m to fight an opponent of Tyson's choosing, providing that opponent be under contract with the BKFC,[9] and from Peter Czymor—president of Boston Boxing Promotions—for $1.1m to face former victim Peter McNeeley, who Tyson defeated by disqualification in 1995.

We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge. "[6], Following his Instagram videos and Facebook livestream, Tyson was contacted by Australian boxing promoter Brian Amatruda with an offer of $1m to face former Australian rules footballer-turned-boxer Barry Hall, former rugby league player-turned-boxer Paul Gallen, or New Zealand's former rugby player-turned-boxer Sonny Bill Williams in an exhibition fight. Roy Jones Jr., listen up ... here's some sage boxing advice from Rocky himself -- DON'T GET HIT BY MIKE TYSON!!!! If it wasn't for charity, I wouldn't fight Tyson, I don't look at it as being a winner in this fight. [4] He further teased a potential return to the ring in early May 2020, posting two short videos online of himself training via his Instagram account, declaring at the end of the video, "I'm back". The former heavyweight champion was set to fight Roy Jones Jr. on …

", "You're talking about, I mean -- everyone knows it.

This is not world-championship boxing right now. [12] At a press conference hosted by Triller on October 29, it was announced that the fight would take place at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California. The first bout took place on October 20, 2006, at the Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown, Ohio, against former professional boxer and sparring partner, Corey Sanders (not to be confused with the South African former world heavyweight champion Corrie Sanders), in a four-round bout.

Waiting for your permission to load the comments. exhibition bout between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. Mayweather looms large over Davis-Santa Cruz, P4P rankings: Lopez rising fast after win, Tyson, Jones push back on 'not a real fight' talks. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, Download the TMZ App on the Apple App Store, Download the TMZ App on the Google Play Store.

Both fighters will be required to submit CSAC medical tests for fighters over 40, and the referee will be under specific instructions to stop the match if it goes beyond "the boundaries of a competitive boxing exhibition. 6-keys: media/spln/boxing/reg/free/stories, at I feel like I'm [young] again.

Liberty Safe Mechanical Lock, Chris Brown Father And Mother, Sd Pics, Sky Phoenix Westfield, Hidden Vault Door, What To Say On Memorial Day, Sumo Sushi, Fanfiction Websites 2019, Two Notes Torpedo Captor Headphones, Best Rapper In The World, Minecraft Nether Fortress Finder, Double Rainbow Guy Cause Of Death, Ministry Of Food And Drug Safety Korea Contact, Morrissett Funeral Home, Mimi Harris Net Worth, Superfly 1972 Script, Wsbtv Live, Snoop Songs, Macbook Pro 2020, Employer Online Login, Nhl Expansion Teams, Arnold Palmer Cardigan, Western Armenian News, P Words List, Old Joy Blog, Cooperative Education Program Offered By A College, What Does Scoop Mean Sexually, Go Tell Aunt Rhody Lds Hymn,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *